Rafa Nadal has a brand new look in Melbourne. Folks at Nike Tennis prepared a new “Pink Pow” Rafa crew with a gradient pattern on the front to match with Volt details on the shoes and other accessories. The whole Australian Open collection uses vibrant colors inspired by the continent’s natural palette. As for the shoes it’s the upgraded version of last year’s Nike Lunar Ballistec. The new version is called Nike Lunar Ballistec 1.5 and it’s basically the same shoe with more ventilation on the medial side.
Nike Tennis has prepared a very nice Polarized Blue colorway of the Nike Lunar Ballistec for Rafa to wear in the upcoming Roland Garros. Even though, Nadal is currently wearing his old shoes he may go back to the Lunars in French Open and by going my I mean wear a copy-cat version that looks like his new shoes, but is indeed the older Air Max version under the covers. It’s really too bad that the shoes are not getting any love from Rafa, because they are indeed very good tennis shoes. Pricey, yes, but the performance is really there. How do you like this version? Is it your favorite colorway thus far?
Last night, Rafa Nadal had to dig deep to get past an inspired Gilles Simon in the second round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome. Nadal, who is aiming to win the tournament for the eighth time, was taken to two tie-breaks before finally wearing down his opponent in the final set to win 7-6, 6-7, 6-2. Earlier today he came from a set down to see off former top 10 player Mikhail Youzhny less than 20 hours after the marathon on Wednesday night. The Spaniard will next face Any Murray for the first time in three years. Continue reading for a gallery from today’s game or head over to the gallery for more pics.
If you’ve been wondering if Rafa Nadal laced up a pair of his new signature shoes the Nike Lunar Ballistec in-game… here’s your answer… No! He did wear the redefined version, which still uses most of the components from the old model, but only on clay. On hard courts he still wears the Air Max Courtballistec 4.3… during matches. Below, there’s a breakdown of all of his tournaments from this season and a side-by-side comparison of practice and match kicks.
Ok, so Rafa Nadal loves his previous shoes very much. Yeah… what else is new?!? Actually, he loves them so much that he decided to lace up a brand new Player Exclusive version in practice at the Mutua Madrid Open. Up to this point Rafa wore the “redefined” Nike Lunar Ballistec in practice on hard courts and also in matches on clay. Seeing him using the CB 4.3 so much on clay is a bit of a surprise. I will try to post a breakdown on his sneaker decision in 2014 later this week. Below there’s a close up of Nadal’s new practice kicks in White, Blue and Grey. He also used the Navy version from last year in one of the sessions. I wonder if he decides to use them in matches too. Stay tuned for more updates.
Rafael Nadal’s love and hate relationship with the Lunar Ballistec continues as his clay court season shoes are still trying to disguise the fact that he’s using the old model. The colorway is new, yes, but the outsole comes from the Courtballistecs, the Dynamic Flywire is still just a gimmick. Too bad the retail version is not available as a clay court shoe. I still like his PE version better, but I really hope folks at Nike Tennis will resolve the situation sooner rather than later. There are two ways out of this… either Rafa makes the switch into and Lunars or… Nike needs to release his actual game shoes to public. Option no. 2 would be really nice! Take a closer look at this new Metallic Zinc colorway below and compare Rafa’s personal pair and the retail version. Which one would you rather own?
- Nike Tennis Introduces 2015 Australian Open Collection for Rafa Nadal January 19, 2015
- Closer Look at Polarized Blue Nike Lunar Ballistec May 16, 2014
- Rafa Beats Youzhny, Sets up Murray Quaterfinal in Rome May 15, 2014
- Rafa Nadal’s Practice vs. Match Kicks (Lunar vs. Air Max) May 7, 2014
- Rafa Wears New Court Ballistec 4.3 PE in Practice in Madrid May 5, 2014
- Leaked: Nike Lunar Court Ballistec – Spring & Summer 2014 October 23, 2013
- #SpinAttacksInTheDark – Rafa & Tsonga 2013 Babolat Aeropro Drive Commercial December 18, 2012
- Proof that Rafa’s New Shoes Are So Much Different Than Yours! January 11, 2014
- Closer Look at Nadal’s “Redefined” Nike Lunar Ballistec January 2, 2014
- Introducing Nike Air Max Courtballistec 4.3 Grey/Crimson CLAY April 26, 2013
#winning 4.3 2012 2013 air max courtballistec 4.3 ao2013 ao2014 apparel atp world tour australian open babolat chile final french open general release grand slam london lunar court ballistec new york nike nike lunar ballistec nike tennis novak djokovic outfit player exclusive practice rafael nadal rg13 rg2012 rg2013 roland garros sample shoes spain sw19 t-shirt tennis us open usopen2012 usopen2013 video volt vtr open wimbledon wimbledon13
- yfr says: los ballistec 4.3 son mejores y mas bonitos
- Rafa Beats Youzhny, Sets up Murray Quaterfinal | RAFA VAULT - Rafael Nadal - News | Shoes | Tennis says: […] first time in three years. Continue reading for a gallery from...
- DION says: retail version nadals version look cheap or fake
- Clarkie says: Good article, I understands Rafa's requirements would be different to rest...
- MACX says: they are not sample they are clay
Random PhotosINDIAN WELLS, CA - MARCH 14: Rafael Nadal of Spain hits a return to Roger Federer of Switzerland during day 9 of the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells Tennis Garden on March 14, 2013 in Indian Wells, California. Nadal won 6-4, 6-2. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 26: Rafael Nadal of Spain serves in his semifinal match against Roger Federer of Switzerland during day eleven of the 2012 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 26, 2012 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)